Above the fold: the first page
What’s the #1 rule for organizing your first page? Put your most important content front-and-centre and make sure you have all main page elements in order.
It’s not necessary to use all elements on the first page. The most important elements are, in order:
- Clear Call to Action (CTA)
- Big and noticeable search bar/search box
- Navigation bar with 3-5 tabs
- Unique selling proposition (USP) explaining what your site is about
- Original and attractive background image in high resolution
- Clear and clickable logo
Click on the links for more information about each page element.
It’s important to encourage scrolling down so users will see your below-the-fold content.
There are two main ways to do this:
- Showing just the top part of the next page (8 out of 10 partners do this)
- Adding a direct Call to Action
Below the fold: the content that’s visible after scrolling
Place the content that’s useful to your users below the fold.
Make sure that:
- Each property and destination has an attractive and clickable image
- All links open in the same tab
- Customer reviews are from the current year
- Blog posts are relevant and regularly updated
For more details, take a look at our article on the ‘Most successful below-the-fold techniques’.