Before you start, think about how visitors use your site. Placing a banner on a page or section that doesn’t get much attention would be countereffective. Answering the following questions can help you identify the best banner placements:
- What do visitors do on this page?
- Where is visitors’ attention likely to be focused on this page?
- How can I place a banner on this page without interrupting the visitor?
- How can I integrate a banner into this page while keeping it clean and clutter-free?
- You should place banners on pages that users visit and around content they are most interested in, but don’t try to disguise banners as non-ad content. A banner, like any other ad, should be clearly identified as such and not confused with functional elements such as images. Lastly, try to use banners to complement your content without making it cluttered.
- Review your site as you were a normal visitor, any banners that you find useful or annoying will probably be equally useful or annoying for your users.